Become a Member of the National Association of Blind Students
NABS is a far-reaching network of diverse and talented students. We are making a difference every day, furthering the rights of blind students across the country and creating a powerful community with whom to learn and grow. Whether you are looking to get involved with one of our committees, receive support from other students, or simply make the most of the resources NABS has to offer, becoming a member is the place to start! This page outlines our process for applying and gaining active membership to the national student division.
As described in more detail below, all individuals seeking membership must pay dues, fill out our membership application, and receive formal notification of their status from a designated leader of the National Association of Blind Students. If these steps are completed, you will be considered an active member of our organization through December 31 of the year you completed the membership application process. Please note that active membership status expires beginning January 1 of the year after you complete the membership process, meaning you will need to renew your membership by completing the membership form and paying $5 in annual membership dues.
As part of the criteria to become an active member, dues of $5 must be paid each year per our constitution (Article VII). If you have not paid your dues since January 1, 2022, we invite you to do so through any of the following mediums:
- PayPal: Navigate to our PayPal Page, or send payments to @NABSPayments
- Zelle: send payments to email@example.com
- Credit/debit card: Navigate to the donate now page on our website and clearly indicate in the notes field that your payment is for membership dues. This link can also be found at the top of our website.
- Check: send checks to NABS Treasurer, Elizabeth Rouse, at PO Box 942 Durant, IA 52747.
Always ensure to include your name and purpose for payment when using any/all of these platforms in order to guarantee your payment is linked to your membership application.
We are asking all new and returning members to also fill out this membership application to ensure that we have up-to-date information on record.
Application Review and Decision
Once you have paid your dues and completed the membership application, two scenarios are possible:
- If you have not been an active member (as defined by this process) in the past two years, our Board of Directors will review your application and vote on your membership status based off of our membership criteria. You will be notified of the decision regardless of the outcome.
- If you were an active member in the past two years, you will not need to be voted in a second time and will retain active membership status on the condition that you have completed the membership form and paid your dues for the current calendar year. You will still be notified when your form and dues have both been processed.
In either case, if you have been notified that you are an active member, you will remain an active member until December 31 of the same year. Welcome to our family!
If you are unsure of your membership status or have more generalized questions about the membership application process, please email Secretary and Chairperson of Membership Committee Gene Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about payment options or want to confirm your dues were received, please email Treasurer Elizabeth Rouse at email@example.com.