Become a Member of the National Association of Blind Students
NABS is a far-reaching network of diverse and talented students. We are making a difference every day, furthering the rights of blind students across the country and creating a powerful community with whom to learn and grow. Whether you are looking to get involved with one of our committees, receive support from other students, or simply make the most of the resources NABS has to offer, becoming a member is the place to start! This page outlines our process for applying and gaining active membership to the national student division.
As a reminder, per national division guidelines, we transitioned to a calendar membership year (January-December) as of January 1, 2022. To accommodate for this change, we honored dues from both 2020 and 2021 until December 31, 2021, assuming an individual followed our application process, met the requirements for membership, and was voted into the organization by our Board of Directors.
Now that we are officially out of the transition period, all prospective members, both new and returning, will need to follow our updated process to be an active member of the national student division in 2022. Keep in mind, paying dues to your state student division or your state affiliate is separate from applying for membership in NABS.
All individuals seeking membership must pay dues, fill out our membership application, and receive formal notification of their status from a designated NABS leader.
As part of the criteria to become an active member, dues of $5 must be paid each year per our constitution. If you have not paid your dues since January 1, 2022, we invite you to do so through any of the following mediums:
- PayPal: Navigate to our PayPal Pageor send payments to @NABSPayments
- Zelle: send payments to email@example.com
- Credit/debit card: Navigate to the donate now page on our website and clearly indicate in the notes field that your payment is for membership dues. This link can also be found at the top of our website.
- Check: send checks to NABS Treasurer, Elizabeth Rouse, at PO Box 942 Durant, IA 52747.
Always ensure to include your name and purpose for payment when using any/all of these platforms in order to guarantee your payment is linked to your membership application.
We are asking all new and returning members to also fill out this membership application to ensure that we have up-to-date information on record.
Application Review and Decision
Once you have paid your dues and completed the membership application, two scenarios are possible:
- If you have not been an active member (as defined by this process) in the past two years, our Board of Directors will review your application and vote on your membership status based off of our membership criteria. You will be notified of the decision regardless of the outcome.
- If you were an active member in the past two years, you will not need to be voted in a second time and will retain active membership status on the condition that you have completed the membership form and paid your dues for the current calendar year. You will still be notified when your form and dues have both been processed.
In either case, if you have been notified that you are an active member, you will remain an active member until December 31 of the same year. Welcome to our family!
If you are unsure of your membership status or have more generalized questions about the membership application process, please email Board Member Gene Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about payment options or want to confirm your dues were received, please email Treasurer Elizabeth Rouse at email@example.com.